Friday, February 7, 2014

Me, Where I'm At, What I'm Doing

Hey all, welcome to my blog.  My name is Shane and I am from Utah.  I am a senior at Utah State University, located in Northern Utah, studying marketing.  I love everything outdoors.  I continually find myself climbing, hiking, running, biking, surfing, camping, skiing, snowboarding, taking pictures, shooting videos, traveling, and writing.  I enjoy spending time with family and friends and I am always looking for a new adventure. So, what's the deal with this blog and why am I taking the time to write?  I will use this blog to document my travels, post photos and videos, and show YOU the things I find.  I will post product reviews for the gear that I use and try to help any and all who are planning escapes to the places that I have visited.

Utah State University is located in Logan, about 75 miles north of Salt Lake City, nestled at the base of Logan Canyon and surrounded by climbable/rideable mountains.  I've lived here my whole college career and know this place like the back of my hand.  Here are a list of hotspots to check out if you are ever in town:

Logan Canyon:
This canyon, leading east out of Logan, is like a massive playground.  There is something to do in the canyon for every type of outdoor activity.  This canyon has HUNDREDS of bolted routes to climb in the spring/summer/fall and they keep climbers happy for years.

A quick shot I took on a recent hike a couple miles up Logan Canyon.


The ROCKHAUS:
The winters here are very cold and very snowy, forcing us climbers to find shelter while we are in town.  The ROCKHAUS is the local climbing gym and a popular spot to hang out with other climbers on any given night.  It is a relatively small gym, but they've successfully figured out how to fit plenty of climbing in a small space.  The gym has just over 12,000 square feet of climbing surface, 21 top ropes (32 feet) with over 100 routes, 45 foot lead walls, and an upstairs bouldering area.  The staff is friendly and always welcoming newcomers to the climbing community.  Check out their website here: http://www.rockhausgym.com/
A section of the Lead Wall at the Rockhaus gym.


Beaver Mountain:
There is no escaping the winter here in Northern Utah, so the only way to deal with the chill is to embrace it.  Beaver Mountain is the closest ski resort to Logan and it is located about 25 miles up Logan Canyon.  This is a small ski resort with four lifts and small crowds.  It's not uncommon to see empty seats in class or cars carrying skis the day after a good storm, but no one can blame them... After all.. we do have the best snow on earth. Check their website out here: http://www.skithebeav.com/

We get a lot of the white stuff up here, as this shot from Beaver Mountain proves.


Green Canyon:
This place is awesome for riders looking for classic single-track.  This is a local hotspot for mountain biking and trail running.  Green Canyon is 14 blocks north of Logan Canyon and is a great place to go hang out with the crew.  The canyon is littered with great camping spots where we have enjoyed many quick overnighters or late night bonfires.  In winter, you're likely to see nature lovers taking advantage of the cross country skiing in Green Canyon.

View from Green Canyon looking back towards Logan.


These are just a couple things that Logan has to offer, and I'll show you more in coming weeks and months.  I have a couple of trips planned to great places around the world in the coming months and I can't wait to document what happens.  Until then, go outside and see what you can do!


No comments:

Post a Comment